Sunday, September 1, 2024

Obvious Living

 “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”

 Colossians 3:17 (NIV)

    My family loves a crazy, wild, out-of-control card game called “Obvious.” A team of two partners competes against another two-man team. The object of the game is to draw four of the same cards and signal your partner without being . . . wait for it . . . obvious! If your partner gets the signal, he or she yells “Kent!” and you win the game.

    The key to winning is to work out a signal with your partner before the game starts – a signal that only the two of you know. At the same time, you have to be watching the opposition because they, too, have worked out a sign between them.

    If you think you see a signal between the members of the opposition, you yell “Obvious!” and they have to prove – or disprove – your claim. If you caught them with four kings, for example, you win. If not, you lose the game. It all depends on how careful you are when it comes to being obvious.

    I wonder what it would look like if I was an obvious follower of Jesus. If people could look at me and, at a glance, know Who I worship. Now, let me pause immediately and state that being obvious about my faith does NOT mean that I walk into a restaurant, for example, climb on the nearest table and announce “I am a Christian. Watch me and you will see how to live!” My goodness, I would run from someone like that – fast!

    What I am wondering is this: can people tell by how I live each day what I believe or do they frown as they try to figure out the “signals” I am giving off? Am I “obvious” in the checkout line at the grocery store with a new cashier; at the airport with a flight delay or driving in slow, heavy traffic? Do my conversations reflect kindness, compassion, and mercy or are they condemning and cruel? It should be obvious, wherever I am, whatever I am doing, that I belong heart and soul to Jesus. 

    As I remember Who I serve – a Father who is faithful, loving, forgiving, and merciful – my signals should be clear to every person around me. What a concept: that we meet every single day head-on with obvious living for Christ.

    Father, my desire is that my faith and trust in you is so obvious that no one ever doubts Who I serve. Keep me focused on you every day of my life. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

 

R.A.P. it up . . . 

Reflect

  • Have you ever been guilty of not living your faith around certain people or groups?

  • Why or why not?

Apply

  • Journal Colossians 3:17 and beside it write down everywhere you will be each day for the next week.

  • Carry that list with you on those days and as you leave each place, check whether or not you were obvious in your faith. 

Power 

  • Colossians 3: 17 (NIV) “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”

  • Matthew 5:16 (NIV) “In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.”

  • Colossians 4:6 (NIV) “Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.”

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

God Had A Different Plan

  “Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.” Proverbs 19:21 (NIV)      My afternoon was perfectly ...