Saturday, October 21, 2023

Super-Glue Your Lips

 “. . . Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.”

James 1:20 (NIV)

    Before I could say “hello” to my dear friend as I opened the front door, she greeted me with “I am so embarrassed! I just made a fool of myself today.” I smiled. “That’s   an  everyday occurrence for me so just once isn’t too bad.” But there was no smile in return. She sat down, shook her head, and explained what had just happened.

    She had gone to the principal’s office at school because the bus driver had reported that her daughter Sara had been jumping over seats while the bus was in motion and was not listening to his repeated requests to sit down.“I was so angry when I walked in the office and never gave anyone a chance to speak,” she said. “I glared at the principal and the bus driver and told them that Sara would never ever jump over bus seats nor would she disrespect her bus driver by not obeying what he told her to do.”

   At this point she put her hands on her head and looked at me: “I followed that with a comment about how awful it was that they would accuse my daughter of doing such a thing and ended by saying that evidently someone was lying.” As I realized what the result was going to be by the look on her face, I took her hand and silently waited as she finished her story.

  “As I made that last statement, without saying a word, the principal leaned over and pushed the start button on his DVD player. I watched what the bus camera had recorded. Sara. My daughter. Jumping over bus seats. Ignoring her bus driver’s repeated demands to sit down.”  Oh my. Then she looked at me as regret and shame poured from her eyes, down her face, and onto her shirt. “I’m a Christian. A Christian! And today I was a horrible example of Jesus to everyone who heard me at the school.” 

    Ever been there? Ouch. Me, too. Instead of memorizing James 1:20 and putting it into practice every single day, I find myself changing the words around a bit so that it sounds more like this: “I am quick to become angry and speak and slow to listen.” When my mouth engages without ever consulting my Spirit, I know that, within minutes, regret will rise to the surface. Regret for what I said and for my very unchristian behavior. 

   That is why James 1:20 is so important for us all. Sooner or later, we are all going to say or do something that is totally opposite of the example Jesus set for us. We need to remember that as Christians we represent the Creator of the Universe. There will always be someone watching and listening as they determine whether or not we are living by the example Jesus set for us in His Word.

   My friend asked the Lord to forgive her for what she said, did, and thought. We prayed together, that He would give her courage to go back to the school and to not only apologize for her actions and words but to ask for forgiveness as well. She then asked the Lord to continually remind her of James 1:20 and the God she represents to others every day. Her last prayer request? That the Holy Spirit would super-glue her lips and flush open her ears in each and every situation she faces. What a great idea for all of us. 

      Father, for every single situation that I face today, help me to remember that I am an example of your son no matter where I am. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

 

R.A.P. it up . . .

 Reflect

  • Have you ever become angry or frustrated and shared everything that came to your mind without stopping to think about what you were saying?

  • As you looked back, what was your first impression of YOU?

 

Apply

  • The next time you face a situation – no matter what the issue – mentally tell your lips that they are super-glued together and open your ears to what is being said.

  • Then picture everyone around you watching and listening to see if you will be a Christian example to them.

Power

  • James 1:20 (NIV) “. . . Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.”

  • Proverbs 15:18 (NIV) “Wisdom calls aloud in the street, she raises her voice in the public squares.”

  • Ecclesiastes 7:9 (NIV) “Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Innocent Bystanders

  “But if anyone causes one of these little ones who  believe in me  to sin, it would be better for him  to have a large millstone hung arou...