Sunday, December 13, 2020

For Future Generations

 

“O my people, hear my teaching; listen to the words of my mouth….We will not hide them from their children; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord; his power and the wonders he has done…so the next generation would know them, even the children yet to be born, and they in turn would tell their children.”

Psalm 78:1, 4, 6 (NIV)

 

John Atkinson, my granddad, passed away September 7, 1979. I remember exactly where I was standing when I got the phone call and the instant sadness that filled my heart. He was a man of integrity and honor, laughter and love and a huge part of my life.

I remember hugging him and loving the scent of moth balls and Old Spice as he wrapped his arms around me and my siblings and asked “Well, fellers, how are you doing?” His home was never without a candy bowl in the living room full of white mints with a soft green jelly in the center.

 

Grandmother would only let us have one mint but Granddad always sneaked more to us when she wasn’t looking. He became my hero and I became his biggest fan for life when he defended my refusal to try oyster soup. I gagged at the thought of eating it and he gagged at me gagging.

 

But one of the things I remember most was his love of the Bible. One particular conversation has stayed with me all these years. We were talking about reading the Scriptures and I mentioned that it was hard for me to get interested in them. “Too many thee’s and thou’s,” I told him. “Is reading the Bible really that important?”

 

He reached over and picked up his well-worn leather Bible on the table by his chair. “I’ve read it completely through three times so far,” he quietly commented “and I find something new and fresh every time. Our hope for tomorrow is in this book, Nancy. Never forget that.”

 

“Never forget that.” I didn’t . . . all because my granddad took the time to share story after story from the Word and then explain how it related to me. Jonah and the whale taught me about obedience. David and Goliath gave me courage. An empty tomb gave a little girl a big hope in her Savior.

 

What happens when we do not share God’s Word with our children and grandchildren? We are told in Judges 2:19 that after Joshua and his generation had died, another generation grew up who did not know the Lord or what He had done for Israel.

 

 Could it be that Joshua’s generation, though they loved the Lord, neglected to share their faith with their children so that it could be shared with children and grandchildren in future generations? The result of their not being taught about the Lord and how He had blessed the nation of Israel resulted in their turning to idol worship and ultimately to discipline from God.

My granddad’s example impressed upon me the importance of continually turning to the Word of God and teaching my children – and now grandchildren – about His love and compassion, mercy and forgiveness so they will never forget.

 

My question is this: What will you leave for future generations?

 

 Father, nothing is more important than sharing you with my children and grandchildren. Please help me to recognize teachable moments so that I can tell them about your glory and the wonderful things you have done for them. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

 

R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect

  • What do most of your conversations with your children or grandchildren center around?

 

  • How often do you talk to your children or grandchildren about Jesus?

 

Apply

  • Have mini-sessions with your children and grandchildren to share stories from the Bible about God’s power and love for them.

 

  • Emphasize the importance of God’s Word by having a “proud board” in your home to hang pictures your children and grandchildren have drawn from Bible stories.

 

Power

  • Psalm 78:1, 4, 6 (NIV) “O my people, hear my teaching; listen to the words of my mouth….We will not hide them from their children; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord; his power and the wonders he has done…so the next generation would know them, even the children yet to be born, and they in turn would tell their children.”

 

  • Psalm 102:18 (NIV) “Let this be written for a future generation, that a people not yet created may praise the Lord.”

 

  • Romans 15:4 (NIV) “For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Itemized List

  “Do not say, “I’ll pay you back for this wrong!” Wait for the Lord, and he will deliver you.” Proverbs 20:22 (NIV)    The bitterness in ...