Saturday, August 15, 2020

Correcting Autocorrect

 

 “Oh, that my ways were steadfast in obeying your decrees!”

Psalm 119:5 (NIV)

            My smartphone has autocorrect. It’s designed to help me when I am unsure about the spelling of a word or when I’m in a hurry.  I simply type a few letters and it “thinks” for me and finishes my words. That sounds great but there’s a problem: sometimes when it does that and anticipates what I am trying to text, it is not even close. It’s like autocorrect has a mind of its own.

            Need an example? I was texting a friend of mine named Linda. She is a fantastic wife and mother and I am in awe of how she balances home, career and family.

            On Linda’s birthday, I was texting “Linda, birthday blessings!” to her but my phone, for some reason, thought it knew better than me what I needed to text and it autocorrected to “Linda, birth control!” Now that may sound funny but here’s some additional information about Linda: she has ten children.

            Imagine my shock and embarrassment as I glanced down at my text just before I sent it! I quickly hit the delete button and made the changes immediately. Mercy!

            But it also triggered a thought in my mind. Do we ever “autocorrect” the Word of God? You know what I mean? We determine that what God says in His Word is not what He really means because it doesn’t match how we feel or believe so we “autocorrect” it to fit our lifestyle.

            Let’s see. Matthew 5:44 says to “love your neighbor” but we rationalize that God doesn’t mean MY neighbor so we autocorrect the word “love” to “tolerate.” After all, we tell ourselves, God knows how mean my neighbor is and He understands.

            What about Luke 6:28 where we are told “bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.” No way we shout! You cuss at me – I’ll cuss at you!

Exodus 20:14 says “Do not commit adultery” but OUR interpretation of that autocorrects to “unless you are unhappy, unsatisfied or just not in love anymore.”

All I have to do is decide that God is only giving opinions or suggestions and not commandments. That gives me the right in my eyes to believe whatever I want to believe. Oh the foolishness of man!

God set in place His guidance for how we live our lives for a reason: to protect us. He wants to keep us from the harm that the sin of disobedience causes. We learn trust when we obey and do what God has told us to do. We understand mercy when we fall and we are forgiven. We learn that His promises are true and that He loves us with a deep love that we cannot earn because it is a gift to us.

We must all check our motives for changing the Word of God. When we decide to autocorrect His Truth, we are not worshiping the Creator. We are worshiping ourselves. That is a dangerous path that only leads to eternal death separated from Him.

Father, forgive me when I foolishly decide that I am more wise than you and rewrite your Word to fit my life. I truly long to see less of me and more of you. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

 

R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect

·         Have you ever “rewritten” the word of God to fit your lifestyle or beliefs?

·         What was your motive in doing that?

Apply

·         Study the Ten Commandments found in Exodus 20:2-17 (NIV).

·         Write each one in your journal and note whether or not you have ignored or changed God’s meaning to fit your lifestyle. Ask the Lord to forgive you and help you refocus on Him.

Power

·         Psalm 119:5 (NIV) “Oh, that my ways were steadfast in obeying your decrees!”

·         Deuteronomy 4:2 (NIV) “Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the Lord your God that I give you.”

·         I Corinthians 1:25 (NIV) “For the foolishness of God is wiser than man’s wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man’s strength.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Itemized List

  “Do not say, “I’ll pay you back for this wrong!” Wait for the Lord, and he will deliver you.” Proverbs 20:22 (NIV)    The bitterness in ...