Friday, March 1, 2019

You Can’t Take it With You

“Do not be overawed when a man grows rich,
when the splendor of his house increases;
for he will take nothing with him when
he dies, his splendor will not
descend with him.”
Psalm 49:16-17 (NIV)

I could only shake my head as I read the magazine article about a wealthy man from Brazil who wanted to be buried beside his $500,000 Bentley Continental automobile. I know that sometimes people have different or unusual ideas about how they want to be buried – that’s not the problem.  It is his reason behind the decision: he wanted to take the car with him when he died.

Because he was extremely rich, the wealthy entrepreneur had everything that money could buy in this world. However, he stated that he did not want to risk being without all those possessions after he died.
  
His idea to bury his expensive car came after watching a documentary about the pharaohs of Egypt and how each one was buried with those things most precious to him in life so that they could accompany him in the afterlife. That prompted his idea, he said, of burying HIS most prized possession, his car, because he wanted to have it with him after he died. “I wanted to copy them,” he said of the pharaohs.

I know what this man was doing sounds silly to us - wanting to take his treasures here on earth with him when he dies. But I am afraid that sometimes I act as though I do, too.  I envy people who are financially well off and I get caught up in the “bigger and better” mentality that we live in. I am guilty of putting all my time and energy into owning what I think will make me happy, as if I think I can keep it forever.

            I’ve never wanted a Bentley, but I have struggled with more clothes or jewelry or a nicer cell phone, even when what I have is perfectly fine. I spend my time and money trying to make more time to have more money. What in the world am I thinking?

God makes it very clear in today’s Scripture what we will take with us when we die: nothing. The last part of verse 17 says “. . . when he dies, his splendor will not descend with him.” We will take nothing with us when we leave this world. Not a home, not jewelry, not even a $500,000 Bentley.
.
Consider this: everything we have belongs to the Lord. Everything. The cattle on a thousand hills (Psalm 50:10), silver and gold (Haggai 2:8) – everything. None of it truly belongs to us anyway.

And, most importantly, we are rich beyond compare because we will spend eternity as children of the King of the Universe. I can’t take it with me – but why would I want to? Nothing on this earth compares with the priceless gift that I have been given of spending eternity with Jesus.

Father, thank you for reminding me that nothing in this world compares with the riches you have waiting for us as your children. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect
  • Do you spend a lot of your time trying to save more and more wealth?

  • Do you find yourself frequently looking for ways to have bigger and nicer things?

Apply
  • Make a list in your journal of everything that you want and how much money it would take to buy each item.

  • Beside each item write down Scripture that reminds you about the wealth that you will receive in heaven and circle which column is eternal.

Power
  • Psalm 49:16-17 (NIV) “Do not be overawed when a man grows rich, when the splendor of his house increases; for he will take nothing with him when he dies, his splendor will not descend with him.”
·         Luke 12:20 (NIV) “But God said to him, “You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’”
·         Mark 8:36 (NIV) “What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?” 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Innocent Bystanders

  “But if anyone causes one of these little ones who  believe in me  to sin, it would be better for him  to have a large millstone hung arou...