Saturday, December 15, 2018

An Orange, Flip Flop Contentment


“…I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.”
Philippians 4:11 (NIV)

There was no extra money in our household. My husband worked outside the home, I worked as a stay-at-home mom, and our three children worked at messing up the home.

We were in agreement as a family that this arrangement would work out best for all of us, but it did mean that we had a very tight budget. I admit that there were times when going to the movies or swimming pool every week would have been wonderful but those were luxuries we only occasionally were able to do.

We had to prioritize our money with necessities first and desires second and that often meant that some important things had to be put on hold in order to balance the monthly income.

I remember a woman scolding me because I didn’t take my children to the dentist every six months. “What kind of a mother would neglect her children’s teeth?” she asked me. “A mother who thought it was a no-brainer to decide between putting food on the table or taking her kids to the dentist,” I wanted to tell her but kept it to myself.

However, there were many positive aspects of watching our budget closely. One in particular stands out: our children learned an appreciation for and contentment with whatever they got. I remember clearly just how that appreciation was shown on a shopping day several years ago.

I had taken our small children to Wal-Mart with a list of groceries that we needed. But I had also budgeted for a couple of small items for each child. When I told them that they could choose two things, they were overjoyed.

Each one carefully considered his or her purchase but my youngest knew exactly what she wanted: a bag of candy orange slices for 89 cents and a pair of flip flops for 50 cents.

As I pushed my cart after the two older ones, I heard a precious little voice from behind me and turned around to hear my youngest as she prayed “Oh, Lord, Lord! Orange slices and flip flops in the same day! Thank you! Thank you!” and held the candy and shoes high above her head for Him to see.

I just have to ask: are you thankful for the candy orange slices and flip flops in your life? Have you felt contentment, even though you don’t have Pierre Marcolini chocolate candy for $102.50 a pound or Jimmy Choo designer shoes for $695.00 a pair?

 In other words, no matter what you have, can you truly say as Paul did in Philippians 4:11 “I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.”
No, expensive candy and shoes will probably never be a part of my lifestyle but I wouldn’t trade an orange candy slice/flip flop contented faith for anything in this world!

Father, thank you for the many many blessings that you have given me. Help me to always remember that my contentment comes from knowing you are taking care of me. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .


Reflect
  • Have you ever felt like you appreciated what you had and then saw someone else with more?

  • How did your perspective of what you were blessed with change? For the better or worse?

Application
  • Every time you see something someone else has that you don’t, immediately thank the Lord for what He has given you.

  • Each morning before beginning your day, stop and name ten blessings that the Lord has given you because He loves you. Be specific.

Power Verses
  • Philippians 4:11 (NIV) “…I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.”

  • I Timothy 6:6 (NIV) “But godliness with contentment is great gain.”

  • Hebrews 13:5 (NIV) “Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fix It, God!

  “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perse...