Friday, December 29, 2017

Dare to be Bold


“Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth,
words may be given me so that I will fearlessly
make known the mystery of the gospel.”
Ephesians 6:19 (NIV)

My granddaughter Lola B. taught me a great lesson on being bold when she was in the second grade. Her sister Ava, who was a first grader, was being bullied by another student. Ava, who was very shy, had tried unsuccessfully to get the girl to stop her behavior but it continued.

So Lola, who loved Ava very much, decided at 7 years old to help her 6 year old sister out.

Digging deep inside for courage, Lola walked up to the girl as she stood in the hallway with a friend. “I am Ava’s older sister and I understand that you have been bullying her. It needs to stop right now and I am going to tell your teacher about it.”
The girl looked a bit surprised but quickly nodded “okay.”

Then Lola went to Ava’s classroom and found her teacher. “Hi. I am Lola, Ava’s older sister. I want you to know what is going on with Ava being bullied. And I want to let you know that I will be speaking to my mother about this.” Mercy.
.
Oh to have the courage to be bold! That is something that I certainly need when I want to share Jesus. Can you relate?

The Scripture in Ephesians 6:19 speaks directly to that. Paul says “Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel.”

Why am I not bold when sharing what the Lord has done in my life? Why can’t I tell others about His goodness and mercy and forgiveness and hope?

Honestly, I cannot come up with a good reason. Only excuses.

Like, I’m afraid the person won’t like me anymore and no longer be my friend. Or, I think they will look at my life and all my flaws and failures and see me as a hypocrite. And, maybe I will say the wrong words. Good grief!

Paul wrote this passage as he sat in prison. In prison and thinking of how to share Jesus! And I can’t share because I am afraid that someone won’t like me? Shame on me.

Can I tell you that the bullying stopped? It did. All because of the boldness of a 7 year old little girl who loved her sister very much and was not afraid to speak truth.  

How much more can we do to speak the name of Jesus in love and share the hope He gives to us all. Dare to be bold!

Father, please help me to share your hope through Jesus with love and courage. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.


                                                    R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect
  • Can you think of a time when the Lord nudged you to share His love and mercy with someone but you hesitated because of one of the above excuses?


Application
  • Journal the names of five people in your life who need to know about the love and forgiveness of Jesus.

  • Beside each name write your excuse or reason for not yet sharing Him.

  • Pray over each name, asking the Lord to give you courage and boldness in love to speak to them. Then do that this week. Journal the result.


Power Verses
  • Ephesians 6:19 (NIV) “Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel.”

  • Acts 4:29 (NIV) “Now, Lord, consider their threats and enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness.”

  • Joshua 1:9 (NIV) “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

  • Acts 28:31 (NIV) “Boldly and without hindrance he preached the kingdom of God and taught about the Lord Jesus Christ.”

  • Matthew 28:19 (NIV) “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit . . .”    


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your note to Tim. It really means a lot, as does this devotional.

    ReplyDelete

The Best Reunion Ever

  “For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, a...