Monday, June 26, 2017

More Than Tracking My Journey

“The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”
Deuteronomy 31:8 (NIV)

            My daughters and I recently took a vacation together outside the United States. As someone who does not travel anywhere, I thought it was quite interesting – and a bit scary.

            I asked several questions. “What if we get lost? If our first flight is late, who do we tell so we can get to the connecting flight? And if that happens, how will we reach our family to let them know what is going on? Won’t they worry where we are?”

            Questions and worries. Worries and questions. All unnecessary.

            Because just seconds before we were to get on our flight, my daughter’s husband texted “I see you are set to board your plane in the next few minutes.” What??!!

            “He has GPS, Mom,” she smiled at me. “He knows when we are boarding and he will know when we land. He knows exactly where we are.” Seriously? Yes. And, just a few minutes after our plane landed, another text came through. “I see you are on the ground. Have fun!”

            Now, while I find it fascinating that GPS can track our every movement, that’s where the fascination ends.

            Because if I am sick on the flight, GPS can do nothing. If I am sad or discouraged or anxious as I land, GPS cannot calm me or encourage me. It can only track me on my journey.

            I think that is why I love Deuteronomy 31:8 so much. It says “The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you or forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”

            God Himself has already gone before me on my journey through life. He knows all the ups and downs and every detour in my path. And He will not leave me but instead will calm my fears and encourage me as He stays by my side.

            I need to ask – what journey are you on today? Are you struggling in a marriage with no hope in sight? Do you have a child who knows the right thing to do but always chooses the wrong thing? Have you lost a loved one and find it hard to even breathe?

            With everything in my heart I encourage you to turn your eyes toward the One who is beside you on your journey and who has the answers. He understands. He has been on the path before you and He stands ready to guide you through every minute of every day.

            Call Him by name. Dig into His Word. Again and again God reminds us that we are not just someone to be “tracked” but rather, a child dearly loved by a Father who stays with us and guides us every single day of our lives.

            Father, I thank you so much for never leaving my side and for guiding me each day. Thank you for caring about every single detail of my life. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up

          Reflect
·        Have you ever felt alone in a situation in your life and unsure if anyone cares or if God is even with you?

Application
·        Copy Deuteronomy 31:8 on an index card and keep it in your purse or pocket to remind you of God’s care over you no matter what is going on. This is a great Scripture to memorize.

Power Verses
·        Deuteronomy 31:8 (NIV) “The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”
·        Joshua 1:9 (NIV) “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”
·        Psalm 139:8-10 (NIV) “If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.”
·        John 14:18 (NIV) “I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.”
·        Psalm 121:3-4 (NIV) “He will not let your foot slip – he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.”

           

             

           


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Do I Belong?

  “But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him.  This is how we know we are in him. Whoever claims to live in him...