Sunday, December 11, 2022

Remember When. . .

  

“Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles,

and the judgments he pronounced. . .”

Psalm 105:5 (NIV)

 

My four-year-old grandson looked at me with big brown, very serious eyes the other day and, taking a big breath, said “Grandma, remember when I was a little boy and we were at the fair and I said I was scared and I wasn’t going to ride the dragon but you said it would be okay and you would pray for me and just to try it and then I did and now I can ride the dragon and I’m not scared anymore – remember Grandma?”

 

 I smiled and said, “Yes, I remember.” “Well,” he continued, “could you pray that I get a new bow and arrows?” I hugged him and said, “You bet I will.” But at the same time, I was struck by the realization that a four-year-old remembered an event from a year ago and believed that what happened then – prayer – could help him now.

 

“Remember when. . .” What a beautiful concept and, I believe, a concept that originated with God. David wrote in Psalm 111:4 “He has caused his wonders to be remembered . . .” But why? Why remember the past? Because we are encouraged, and our faith is strengthened by those who faced what we now face and succeeded or held on or made it through or failed but kept on trying.

 

Also, we are encouraged by what He has done in our lives in the past and how He has helped us get through whatever we faced. There is security in knowing that our Father, Who has taken care of us in the past, will also take care of us now. We need to look at the past so we will trust the future.

 

Remembering a time when a family member was sick and was healed gives me strength when I face an illness today. Remembering months without a steady paycheck and yet food miraculously appearing at my door gives me a renewed trust in Him to provide for my needs. Remembering a loved one who finally gave his life to the Lord after years of prayer gives me hope as I witness to a friend tomorrow.

 

I remember when a little boy was afraid of a dragon ride, and I prayed. And because I remember God’s faithfulness, I will pray for a bow and arrows, too.

 

Father, thank you for your wonders and miracles recorded in the Bible to encourage us to trust you with the future. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

 

R.A.P. it up . . .

 

 

Reflect

  • Do you sometimes have trouble remembering answered prayers in the past because your focus is on the current problem or situation?

 

  • Do you respond to problems with panic in the present or peace because of God’s answers in the past?

 

Apply

  • Keep a journal of each prayer request along with the date and time of that request and some space for comments.

 

  • Occasionally refer to your journal and write down how God has met the need you prayed about along with the date and time.

 

Power

  • Psalm 105:5 (NIV) “Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he pronounced . . .”

 

  • Deuteronomy 8:2 (NIV) “Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way in the desert these forty years, to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands.”

 

  • Psalm 103:2 (NIV) “Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits . . .”

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Itemized List

  “Do not say, “I’ll pay you back for this wrong!” Wait for the Lord, and he will deliver you.” Proverbs 20:22 (NIV)    The bitterness in ...