Saturday, April 2, 2022

When I Told God No

 “But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’ Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?”

Romans 9:20-21 (NIV) 

         “Please talk to Mom, please! She wants to divorce Daddy and we don’t want it to happen!” the two young children begged as I hugged them. I heard there had been problems and my heart ached for them. They could see what was happening to their family and they wanted someone – anyone – to try to persuade their mother not to go through with her plans.

         I gave them a half-hearted “I’ll try” but inside I found myself thinking that there was no way their mother would listen to me. I only knew her through our children being involved in the same activities and I felt she would not like me talking to her about such a private situation. And I told the Lord that very thing when I felt His nudging over the next two weeks to go to her and share how much He loved her. “I’m glad to pray for her but talk to her? No way, Lord!”

  Even though I sought advice from my husband and a Christian friend, I knew what I needed to do and finally sat in the presence of the Lord. But rather than say “Your will, Lord” I decided to tell Him MY reasons for not talking to her. “I can feel in my heart that you want me to talk to her but she will be so angry,” I told the Lord.  He did not share my concern.“ I don’t want people to think I’m a busybody,” I whined but God was not impressed.

         Finally, I took a deep breath, prayed for wisdom, called her, and we met. It went about as well as I thought it would. I listened quietly as she told me the marriage was over and it would all be “fine.” I gently shared God’s love for her and her family and how divorce can cause irreparable damage but she said it would only make them stronger. My mind raced as to what I could do to help her see the damage that could happen. “God hates divorce,” I said. “He says that in His Word.” Her next comment floored me. 

“Well, if God hates divorce so much, then He can stop me if He wants to and He hasn’t done that, has He.” I felt my heart breaking. I paused and prayed. “To me, that is like saying ‘if God doesn’t want me to kill someone, He will keep me from getting a gun or buying the bullets,” I pleaded. “We already know what He says about marriage and divorce and why He says it. It’s up to us to do everything we can to work out our differences. What about going to a counselor?”

She shook her head. “Here’s the deal: I want to be happy and I’m just not happy. Period. So I’m done with this marriage and I don’t want to hear any more about it from you or anyone else.” That was it – the beginning of the end of a marriage.  There was no adultery. No abuse. Nothing, she said. She just wasn’t happy any longer.

I managed to drive away before the tears began and then my anger boiled over – toward God! “See, I TOLD you she wouldn’t listen!” I informed Him. “I only made everything worse, not better!” I continued. “How was THAT supposed to help? She has already decided to get a divorce so why have me go talk to her? And besides, I didn’t say anything the right way!” And with that declaration of my earthly wisdom to the Creator of the Universe, I pouted all the way home.

Have you ever been there with me? The Lord nudges you to speak to someone and you absolutely do not want to do it! You can think of a thousand reasons why His idea is not a good idea and maybe, like me, you believe He doesn’t realize how hard it will be on you to do as He asks, so you list every argument against what He says. And you tell Him no. 

Romans 9:20-21 clearly states my problem: I am the clay (human),  the one being formed by the potter, ie the Creator God. And I am trying in my sinful way (because it is sin) to tell God what I do and do not want to do. My reasoning? Again, it comes down to sin. I think I am wiser than God!

Instead of trusting God’s will for me and for the woman He wanted me to talk with, I whined. Rather than being obedient to what He clearly wanted me to do, I was disobedient and focused on myself and my feelings rather than on the woman He loved every bit as much as He loved me. Instead of bowing before Him and acknowledging His right as King to instruct me to carry out His plan, I argued - yes argued - with God. Thankfully, because He is a gracious and merciful Father, He forgave me when I came before Him in repentance.  

How I wish everything had turned out differently for this precious family. She divorced her husband and moved with her children to another state. I never saw them again but I continued to lift her up to the Lord, praying that her heart would be softened as she sought His face. 

 I also thanked the Lord for not giving up on me and my disobedience to Him and His nudging. The Creator of the Universe did not owe me an explanation or rationale for what He wanted me to do. He only needed me to be obedient and trust Him. I pray the next time He asks me to be willing, I will immediately say “Here I am. Send me.” 

Father, thank you for your forgiveness and mercy when I am disobedient. May I always be willing to trust you. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . . 

Reflect

  • Can you think of a time when the Lord nudged you to do something and you would not do it?

  • How did that situation turn out?

Apply

  • Whenever the Lord speaks to your heart, stop and pray “Father, your will in this situation is my will. Show me what to do/say.”

  • Pray over your attitude before you speak or act. Ask a prayer warrior to pray over you as well, for wisdom in listening and speaking in love.”

Power

  • Romans 9:20-21 (NIV) “But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’ Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?”

  • Proverbs 3:5-7 (NIV) “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil.”

  • I Corinthians 1:25 (NIV) “For the foolishness of God is wiser than man’s wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man’s strength.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Itemized List

  “Do not say, “I’ll pay you back for this wrong!” Wait for the Lord, and he will deliver you.” Proverbs 20:22 (NIV)    The bitterness in ...